The In2Rail project is to set the foundations for a resilient, consistent, cost-efficient, high capacity European network by delivering important building blocks that unlock the innovation potential that exists in Shift2Rail: innovative technologies will be explored and resulting concepts embedded in a systems framework where infrastructure, information management, maintenance techniques, energy, and engineering are integrated, optimised, shared and exploited.
The next 20-30 years will see unprecedented demand for growth in transport.
European railways have to deliver increased productivity to fulfil the growth demand across all modes in freight and passenger services by 80% and 50% respectively by 2050. In2Rail will pave the way for the optimisation of the design of core infrastructure elements as well as improve the management of the railway system by adopting a holistic approach. In2Rail will achieve this by embracing innovation through three technical sub-projects:
- Smart Infrastructure;
- Intelligent Mobility Management (I2M);
- Power Supply and Energy Management Systems.
In2Rail project will make advances towards achieving the overall Shift2Rail high level objectives:
- Enhancing the existing CAPACITY fulfilling user demand of the European rail system;
- increasing the RELIABILITY delivering better and consistent quality of service of the European rail system;
- reducing the LIFE CYCLE COST (LCC) increasing competitiveness of the European rail system and European rail supply industry.
This will be achieved by the adoption of a whole system approach linking infrastructure re-design with asset maintenance, traffic and energy management.